Ajay stuns world ranker Wong, Kashyap wins in World C'ship

Guangzhou, August 6: Shuttler Ajay Jayaram notched up a stunning victory over higher-ranked Wing Ki Wong of Hong Kong in the men's singles competition to start India's campaign at the 2013 BWF World Championships in Guangzhou (China).

The 25-year-old Indian, ranked 24th, mixed attack with defence and played a patient game to beat world number 12 Wong 22-20 17-21 21-15 in a 64-minute duel.
He will next take on Pablo Abian of Spain in the second round.

"It was a good match. I knew it won't be easy and I had to give everything. I tried to be patient as the shuttles were slow," Ajay said.

The Chennai-born shuttler played a dominating game and didn't allow Wong to get near him, racing away to 20-16 at the Tianhe Indoor Stadium. However, Wong was not ready to let it go as easily as he clawed back but Ajay had the last laugh.

"I started off well and maintained a good lead throughout the first game. I committed a few errors at 20-16 which helped him to draw level at 20-20. But I am happy I could squeeze past him with a couple of tight points," Ajay said.

However, in the second game, Ajay let go a 13-8 lead to allow Wong forge a comeback into the contest.

"In the second game, I was 13-8 up but he started playing more rallies and I lost my patience. I eventually lost my lead at 17. I was struggling with my fitness as I had recovered from viral fever a week back," he said.

Kashyap too wins

Parupalli Kashyap survived a scare in the opening round of the men's singles competition in the 2013 BWF World Championships.

However, world number 13 Kashyap had an unexpectedly tough encounter against 98th ranked Raul Must of Estonia. Raul troubled the Indian early in the match but ran out of steam as Kashyap managed a 19-21 21-14 21-9 win in 56 minutes.

But it was a bad day in office for India's doubles and mixed doubles pairs as they failed to cross the first hurdle.

While the combinations of Aparna Balan and Arun Vishnu lost to Chinese Taipei's Min Chun Liao and Hsiao Huan Chen 15-21 17-21 in the mixed doubles, Ashwini Ponnappa and Tarun Kona suffered a 18-21 21-12 19-21 defeat to Japan's Hirokatsu Hashimoto and Miyuki Maeda in the opening round.

In the women's doubles, Aparna and Siki Reddy N too lost in the opening round, going down to England's Lauren Smith and Gabrielle White 15-21 17-21 in 34 minutes.

In another match, Dane pair of Line Damkjaer Kruse and Marie Roepke ended the campaign of Pradnya Gadre and Ashwini Ponnappa with a 21-23 21-18 21-17 victory over the Indian pair in the women's doubles event.

Posted by Unknown on 13:19. Filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0

0 comments for Ajay stuns world ranker Wong, Kashyap wins in World C'ship

Leave comment

ISTV News

Courtesy:ISTV Imphal

FLICKR PHOTO STREAM

2010 BlogNews Magazine. All Rights Reserved. - Designed by SimplexDesign